Information and Communication Tech
The business environment relies heavily on software for many functions - from automated traffic control systems to complex manufacturing processes, and Software Engineers are pivotal in the development of software that provides real solutions. A Software Engineer needs to address the entire software development lifecycle - to analyse the needs, and then design, test and develop software in order to meet those needs.
What will this roll actually entail?
(duties and responsibilities)
Software Engineers document this process through the use of diagrams and flowcharts, developing computer instructions through the use of algorithms. Given the breadth of the role, a Software Engineer must have a thorough understanding of computer systems, in order to recognise any hardware limitations that could impact software design. A typical Software Engineer job description includes:
- Improving system quality by identifying issues and common patterns, and developing standard operating procedures
- Enhancing applications by identifying opportunities for improvement, making recommendations and designing and implementing systems
- Maintaining and improving existing codebases and peer review code changes
- Liaising with colleagues to implement technical designs
- Investigating and using new technologies where relevant
- Providing written knowledge transfer material
What qualifications will i need / What would an employer require of me for this roll?
A degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or related fields is essential. Some companies may require expertise in particular high-level programming languages such as C++, Java or Scala.
As technology develops at an ever increasing pace, it is critical for Software Engineers to stay up to date with the latest developments in hardware, systems and coding.
As well as formal qualifications, a Software Engineer job description should emphasise an importance towards:
- A passion for solving problems and providing workable solutions
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills with an ability to visualise processes and outcomes
- Proficiency in troubleshooting software issues and debugging a large codebase
- Outstanding all-round communication skills and ability to work collaboratively
Key dot point summary
beneficial personal attributes
likes the sun
Duties, Responsibilities and Tasks
keyboard typing daily
2 lunch breaks everyday
lots of work and research
will be using a computer
Questions and reviews